A Capitol City Fourth

A Capitol City Fourth

It’s been an exciting and memorable weekend around here. On Thursday night Ivan and I met up with some friends for drinks to kick off the holiday weekend. We went back to Sauf Haus; a German Beer Garden in Dupont. We ended the night with yet another stop at &Pizza. I’m telling you, that might be my favorite part of DC.

Friday we made a quick trip to the Tanger Outlet mall in Maryland. Ivan needed some new shirts and I’m always game for some shopping. I picked up some cute black shorts from Banana Republic for $16. Can’t go wrong there. That night we attended the rehearsal for the PBS “Capitol Fourth” concert. It was basically a dry run through of the 4th of July concert, but without the fireworks. It started to rain near the end, but we still had a good time. We had heard that the crowds for the rehearsal were much smaller, so that cemented our decision to go on Friday. There wasn’t anyone playing that I was dying to see, so I didn’t necessarily want to fight crowds during the main event.


Saturday we got up early because Ivan wanted to attended the reading of the Declaration of Independence. iUnfortunately it was pouring. We waited for about 15 minutes for a bus to take us down there, but I don’t think it was running. It never showed up. So we finally decided to call an uber to take us down there, only to discover that the reading had been moved inside the National Archives. That wouldn’t have been a problem, except that there were seriously about 1,000 people in line already. We decided to cut our losses and made our way down to the Air & Space Museum where an Air Force band was putting on a short concert.


After the concert, the sky finally cleared up just in time for the parade.

6 5 4 3IMG_9068We made it through about 3/4 of the parade before our hunger got the best of us. We cut out a bit early and walked down to a row of food trucks that were camped out by the Air & Space Museum. We had lunch at Senor Latino Grill, a Mexican food truck. I have to say, it was pretty good. I’d eat it again in a heartbeat.

IMG_9155 IMG_9162

We didn’t really feel like going back out into the madness for the fireworks so we just watched a bunch of different displays from our balcony. We don’t face the National Mall, but we could see 20-25 different displays going off in the distance. Some people were setting off fireworks from a rooftop a few blocks from us. People were even setting them off in the streets. It was insane. They started going off at about 8pm and continued all night.

After we got our fill of the fireworks, we headed out to a local bar with a few friends. We all got tired pretty quickly though and I was back in home and in bed by 1.

Sunday was pretty relaxing. We met up with a friend of Ivan’s who was visiting from St. Louis for lunch in Bethesda and then a friend of mine from Michigan for dinner at “The Diner” in Adams Morgan. 
I had the fried chicken with macaroni & cheese. We finished off the meal with a Oreo Milkshake. Not the healthiest meal ever, but it was delicious.

Today I am linking up with:
Erin at Her Heartland Soul for Weekend Snapshots
Tara at Running N Reading for Weekend Update
Katie at Healthy Diva Life for Marvelous in my Mondays

  • Sounds like a good weekend. I am in Gainesville, VA but work in DC so it was cool to see some local pictures from over the weekend. I need to brave the crowds and get into the city one year for the 4th!

    • You could always do what I did and go to the Capitol Fourth rehearsal. It was much more manageable. I’m not a huge fan of crowds either, so it was a nice alternative for me :)

  • looks like a great 4th of July! I’ve never been to DC for the holiday, but I imagine it’s lots of fun and great patriotism. Have a great week!

  • Sounds like the best weekend of food! I’m not sure which one sounds better the taco truck or your dinner. I mean can anything really compete with an oreo milkshake? Yum!

  • Oh bummer you didn’t get to hear the reading but yay on the oreo milkshake! Sounds like a great weekend!

    • Yeah, Ivan was really disappointed. But even if we had gotten in line, we would have NEVER made it into the building on time. It would have taken hours to just get inside the door.

Comments are closed.