So the other night I had a craving for lasagna. The problem was… I didn’t have the stuff to make lasagna. I did have noodles and a cabinet full of “tex-mex” staples, so I decided to get crafty. I have to say, I was pretty happy with the results. I made my lasagna in a bread pan (10×5), because there were only two of us eating. But feel free to double this recipe for a normal 9×13 pan.
1. 1/2 lb. ground beef
2. 1 cup of black beans
3. 1 cup of refried beans
4. 1/3 cup of frozen corn
5. 3/4 cup of Mexican cheese blend
6. 6 lasagna noodles
7. TOPPINGS OPTIONAL: sour cream, salsa, jarred jalapeño slices
Seasoning Mix (you can totally use premade taco seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon chili power
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch of salt, pinch of pepper
1. Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add spice mix and hamburger to skillet. Brown the meat.
3. While browning the meat, cook the lasagna noodles according to package.
4. Drain the meat and return to the skillet (or a mixing bowl, whatever you prefer)
5. Add black beans, refried beans and corn to hamburger. Mix it all up.
6. Coat the bottom of your pan with a light layer of the diced tomatoes and green chiles.
7. Lay down two lasagna noodles in your pan. Spread a layer of the hamburger mixture across the noodles and then top with a layer of the diced tomatoes.
8. Add one more layer of noodles, hamburger and then tomatoes.
9. Top with your remaining two noodles. Spread the last of your diced tomatoes across the top of the lasagna. Top with half of your cheese.
10. Wrap the pan tightly with tin foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes.
11. Add the remaining cheese to the lasagna and place back in the oven for 10 minutes, uncovered. Top with sour cream, jalapeño slices and salsa if desired.